Enfield Town station crash: Overground blocked as commuters react

The London Overground line remains blocked as authorities deal with the aftermath of a train derailment.

The emergency services were called to Enfield Town station at around 8.20am after an Overground train struck the buffers and came off the track.

Around 50 people were evacuated from the eight carriage train with two people treated for minor injuries including the driver who was reported to be suffering from shock.

Safety inspectors have been down at the site taking a look at what has happened and the train still needs to be recovered.

Enfield Independent: Credit: London Fire BrigadeCredit: London Fire Brigade

As a result, the Overground line continues to be part suspended with no service between Edmonton Green and Enfield Town.

Transport for London said the train which crashed was travelling at “low speed”.

Rory O’Neill, TfL’s general manager for London Overground, said: “A London Overground train had a low-speed collision with a buffer at around 8.20am at Enfield Town station.

“Emergency services attended this morning and there will be a full investigation to establish how this happened.”

The British Transport Police says the driver has been routinely breathalysed and blew negative.

Previous story: Two injured after train derails at Enfield Town station

A resident who was due to catch the train that crashed said he’s “never seen anything like it before”.

Enrolment assistant Kyel Matin told the PA news agency that he was supposed to be on the 08.24 train to Liverpool Street, but showed up to “crowds of school kids and commuters waiting outside”.

The 31-year-old added: “(It was) pretty chaotic. Commuters and kids (were) rushing in, all wanting to get a good photo.”

Enfield Independent: Credit: London Fire BrigadeCredit: London Fire Brigade

Ruth McBryan, 40, who works in offender rehabilitation and was due to catch the same train, told PA: “I saw big crowds and everyone was confused. I was in a train crash as a child but it didn’t bring back any bad memories.”

A worker from a nearby sorting office said he was “shocked” by the sight of the train at Enfield station but added the situation “seemed very much in control”.

Gary Spencer said he did not hear the crash but walked over to the station from his workplace after seeing dozens of emergency services vehicles rushing to the scene.

The 37-year-old said: “(There was) initially some shock but more importantly (I was hoping) that there were no casualties.

“I have never known a train to fail stopping at the end of the line… if the metal steel was not behind the buffer I’m confident the train would have damaged the building. The situation seemed very much in control.”

Enfield Independent: Credit: London Fire BrigadeCredit: London Fire Brigade

London Fire Brigade station commander Jim O’Neill, who was at the scene, said: “The train had hit the buffers at the station, which is at the end of the line, and gone up over the top of them.

“Firefighters carried out a systematic search of the train to ensure there were no further people on board.

“Crews assisted station staff to make the scene safe and a recovery operation will now be carried out.”

Three fire engines and two rescue units attended.

The London Ambulance Service said in a statement: “We were called this morning to reports of a train derailed at Enfield Town railway station. Two people were assessed at the scene for minor injuries, but they were not taken to hospital.”

Enfield Independent: Ambulance outside Enfield Town station. Credit: London Ambulance ServiceAmbulance outside Enfield Town station. Credit: London Ambulance Service

Rail regulator the Office of Rail and Road said it sent two safety inspectors to the crash site to “help establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident”.

Enfield Council leader Nesil Caliskan tweeted her thanks to the emergency services and TfL after responding to the crash, adding her “thoughts are with everyone involved”.

Enfield Independent | News